POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools : Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
From: CFM
Date: 17 May 2004 15:25:00
Message: <web.40a9109927c58a6a5af6886c0@news.povray.org>
> You just run the program and it will give you a list of options to encode
> to. I don't know enough about what each does to say exactly, but some are
> MPEG-2 for DVD, etc. I think you also pick the specific encoder to use
> too. Most people are probably using DivX or one of the other popular
> ones. Some are oddballs that work in some players but not others, etc,
> mainly do to bugs in the way the players deal with the codec. Some codecs
> like AngelPotion are just junk to begin with, crash and produce
> intentionally bad files (popular with the truly cheap pron sites..)
>
> In general, once you install a version of the DivX or other codec, then
> 'all' players on your system, from Windows Media Player, to WinAmp 5, to
> DivX Player, etc. will all recognize the movie and play it without a
> problem, which should answer your other question about which players can
> play the movies.
>
> If you plan to use PNG files to save space, but still have all the color
> and quality (Where jpg loses quality and gif loses color), then you may
> need to get the reader for TMPGEnc for PNG. Someone said that the
> original file in these news groups was corrupted (or at least their
> download was), so try getting it from my web site at:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/shadowfyr2/cg/vfpng.zip
>
> I tested the archive of mine and it is OK. It also should now be easier
> for me to point people to as well. lol
>
> The instructions for how to install these are someplace in the TMPGEnc
> docs I think..

OK, I clicked onto the TMPGEnc program, and came up with a window that asked
me what format I wanted. I clicked on NTSC under Video-CD. I then was
brought to a page that said to select the source file. There was a video
file box and an audio file box. I clicked the browse button next to the
video file box. Another window then opened with an empty file name box. I
guess I was supposed to enter the name of the file I want converted into a
video. That would be clockdemo.pov, however it was not listed, and not
recognized, either. I set the program to retrieve the file out of the
correct directory, too. Still, nothing worked. What's wrong?